Human Resources - Violence in Public Hospitals
Requested by: Mental Health Foundation | Response provided: 2019-03-14
Category: Mental Health, Harm to Staff
I write in response to your Official Information Act request, dated 31 January 2019. You requested the following information:
Please provide any statistics or data about the number and nature of violent incidents in hospitals within your DHB within the last five years.
If possible, please provide a breakdown by:
- 1.Annual number of incidents
- 2.Type or nature of incident:
- 3.The type of service they occur in (e.g. emergency departments, mental health units, otherwards).
- 4.Who was the victim (patient, staff, visitor, etc.) and who perpetrated the violence?
- 5.When did the incident happen, and at what point in the hospital experience (e.g. 2 p.m.,Sunday 4 Feb 2017, at the time of admission).
- 6.Where the patient was the perpetrator of a violent incident, how many incidents arereported within 48 hours of that patient being placed in seclusion or restraint
- 7.Were there any other factors or circumstances that may have contributed to the incident?
Our Response is attached