Diabetes Care and Management in the Community
An initiative to promote the integration of services
A 12 month project has been put into place that uses a different model for DCIP with 11 general practices. The initiative targets people with poor diabetes control with the expectation that the expertise flows into improved diabetes care for all patients enrolled with the practice. The 11 general practices have 33% of the people known to have poor control of their diabetes in the district.
The initiative uses a collaborative approach with the practices. They are funded to improve the management of their poorly controlled patients using clinical support from CM Health (virtual consults and MDTs ), shared learning between the practices, tools and training plus improvement facilitators working with each practice on their own improvements. Improvements are not practice confined and includes coordination with allied health services and other resources within localities e.g. self management.
The aim for the practices in the initiative is a 10% reduction in HbA1c in people with poor control of their diabetes by June 2017.
Learning Session Downloads:
Learning Session Zero:
Learning Session One:
- Using TestSafe data to Support Quality Improvement
- “Modified” DCIP
- The Model for Improvement (PDSA Cycles)
- Cluster Networking Notes – Manukau Group
- Cluster Networking Notes – Mangere Group
- Cluster Networking Notes – Otara Group
Learning Session Two:
- Bader Drive Healthcare
- Mangere Health Centre
- Manukau Medical Associates
- Data for Improvement
- Diabetes Data Presentation
- Planned Proactive Care
- Whitiora Diabetes Service
Learning Session Three:
Invitation to Learning Session Three
Resources and Templates:
- Diabetes Virtual Review Checklist
- Diabetes Driver Diagram
- PDSA Cycle Form
- Sample PDSA form
- What is the clinical review tool for?
- Diabetes Clinical Review Tool
- Manukau Locality MDT Checklist
- Integrated Care Events
- Health Mentor Online Diabetes Resource NDNKSF Levels 1&2 Module and other general resources
- Manukau Institute of Technology
- Diabetes Care and Management Course (Level 7) CM Health covers tuition fees, please contact Karyn Sangster (Karyn.Sangster@cmdhb.org.nz) to register for the course.
- Healthy Start Workforce
- Healthy Conversations Skills training as well as information for the online education programme. The sessions are free to attend as they are funded by the Ministry of Health.
- Workforce Nutrition
- This course is for those in the workforce who want to build their knowledge in regards to nutrition and working with Pacific communities in New Zealand.
- Insulin Initiation Training
- Pacific Nutrition and Weight Control Workshop
- Registration Form
- Quality Standards for Diabetes Care
- Diabetes New Zealand
- The Diabetes Project Trust
- New Zealand Society for the Study of Diabetes (NZSSD)
- Edgar National Centre for Diabetes Research
- New Zealand Research Review
- Health Improvement and Innovation website
- Amputees Federation of NZ Inc.
- Fight the Obesity Epidemic (FOE)
- The Glycemic Index
- Health Navigator